Blood donation involves collecting blood from a donor so it can be used to treat someone else.It is an essential part of our healthcare system. If we did not have volunteers giving blood, many medical procedures we take for granted could not take place.Doctors and surgeons rely on blood donations to carry out life-saving and life-enhancing treatments every day. Taking this initiative forward, HDFC Bank conducted a nationwide Blood Donation Drive on Friday, December 11, 2015. This annual initiative held by HDFC Bank is in its ninth year.
Mr.Aditya Puri ,MD , HDFC Bank inaugurated 9th nation wide Blood donation drive
This year HDFC Bank had setup blood donation camps in many more towns and cities in order to encourage the greater number of people to come forward to be a part of this life-saving initiative. The bank had set up blood donation camps at over 2,000 centers in more than 930 cities and towns across India. Starting this year, HDFC Bank reached out to corporates, by setting up blood donation camps at their premises. More than 200 companies participated in the initiative including some of the biggest names of India Inc. HDFC bank had been holding blood donation camps at college campuses for the last three years. Encouraged by the positive response received at the colleges from the youth, this year HDFC Bank held blood donation camps at more than 750 campuses. Participation from college students in HDFC Bank blood donation had increased from 20,507 in 2012 to 41,304 in 2013 and then to 67,871 in 2014. The bank had tied up with local hospitals and blood banks across these 2000+ locations for technical assistance. According to the Indian Red Cross Society, a country needs a minimum stock of blood equal to 1 percent of its population. This means India needs 12 million units of blood, of which the country is able to collect only 9 million units. HDFC Bank started this initiative in 2007 when over 4000 people volunteered for this cause. Since then the camp had grown in size and stature. In 2014, the bank collected 1,28,642 units of blood from 1,55,599 participants at 1987 collection centers at 913 locations.
HDFC Bank Blood Donation Process:
- Every blood donor is given a mini-physical, checking the donor’s temperature, blood pressure, pulse and hemoglobin to ensure it is safe for the donor to give blood.
- The actual blood donation typically takes less than 10-12 minutes.The entire process, from the time you arrive at the time you leave, takes about an hour and 15 min.
- Previous blood donation by a participant should be more than 3 months prior.
Mr.Bhavesh Zaveri, Country Head, Operations, HDFC Bank said, “We have been receiving encouraging response year after year. This year, we are not only adding more college campuses, but also corporates to ensure blood is available for transfusion when required. As a socially responsible corporate citizen, we wish to do our part to narrow the gap in demand and supply of blood.”
Facts about Blood Donation
- Every year our nation requires about 5 Crore units of blood, out of which only a meager 80 Lakh units of blood are available.
- The gift of blood is the gift of life. There is no substitute for human blood.
- Every two seconds someone needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components is transfused each year.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- One pint of Blood can save up to 3 lives
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood
Let me tell you, friends, there are so many benefits of Donating
- It feels great to donate!
- It’s something you can spare – most people have blood to spare… yet, there is still not enough to go around.
- You will help ensure blood is on the shelf when needed – most people don’t think they’ll ever need blood, but many do.
- You will be someone’s hero – in fact, you could help save more than one life with just one donation
I had an opportunity to interact with blood donors at the camp. I spoke to one of the HDFC Bank employees who was donating blood for the 1st time.She was very nervous and at the same time very proud to be associated with this campaign
Check it out her personal experience and message she wants to give to the nation.